Founded as a small house group in 1949, the church acquired its name when the former Reformed Presbyterian Church building was purchased by the group. This building at 33 West Stewart Street, Greenock, continues to serves as our central church and Registered Office. Rev. J.P. Struthers, after whom it is named, was a godly minister and popular Christian author in the early 20th century. He is described by T. G. Snoddy in his book, Round About Greenock, as “that rich-souled teacher and saintly jester” – a description that might equally have applied to Hugh B. Black (1922-2001) our first minister, who, along with Miss Elizabeth Taylor, founded the Struthers Memorial Fellowship. The Fellowship is now led by Mr Black’s youngest daughter, Mrs Grace Gault, the Chair of the Board of Directors.
Over the years the Fellowship has grown and expanded in the central belt of Scotland and further afield. Buildings have been purchased as required and we own property in Cumbernauld, Falkirk, Glasgow, Gourock, London (Aylesbury), Neath, Port Glasgow, Gorebridge and Pudsey. Services are held regularly in these venues and in Shetland and Edinburgh where a community centre is used. Members from different branches of the Fellowship meet together for annual conferences at New Year and Easter and at the summer camps for which Gartmore House is the venue. Each group has a leader or leaders who give their services tirelessly for the furtherance of the work of God in a completely voluntary capacity. The only members of the Fellowship who receive payment are some of those who teach in the school, work in the bookshops or are employed in the administration and maintenance of the churches.